My publication portfolio focuses on the areas of international comparative systems analysis (European and global multilevel governance; ‘Data for Policy’ and ‘Evidence-informed policy-making’) and international comparative policy analysis (EU employment policy, EU environmental and climate policy, EU economic policy coordination; sustainability). It moreover includes the development of online databases and data analysis. Scientific publications and data collections are two central pillars of my qualitative and quantitative publication work in English and German language.
1. Umbach, Gaby (2021): Dataset and -base on global governance regimes, tools and approaches, TRIGGER project. [peer-reviewed]
2. Umbach, Gaby (2021): Dataset and -base on transnational private regulatory regimes, Dataset on transnational private regulatory regimes, plus Codebook, TRIGGER Project, Florence. [peer-reviewed]
4. Umbach, Gaby (2020): TRIGGER AGGREGATOR – Atlas of Global Governance REGgulation and Europe’s AcTORness, technical support by Ottaviano, Simone, TRIGGER Project, Florence.
5. Umbach, Gaby | GlobalStat Team (2019): GlobalStat – Database on Developments in a Globalised World, 2.0 – new website developed jointly with the OECD.
1. Malito, Debora Valentina | Umbach, Gaby | Bhuta, Nehal (eds.) (2018): The Palgrave Handbook on Indicators in Global Governance, Palgrave Macmillan. [peer-reviewed]
1. Umbach, Gaby | Tkalec, Igor (2021): Social Investment Policies in the EU: Actively Concrete or Passively Abstract? , in: Politics and Governance, 2021, 9(3): Steering in Governance: Evolutionary Perspectives, Kristof Van Assche, Raoul Beunen (eds.). [peer-reviewed]
2. Malito, Debora | Umbach, Gaby | Savoia, Antonio | Hulme, David (2021): Measuring Governance to achieve Sustainable Development: Promises and Challenges, in: Leal Filho, Walter | Azul, A.M. | Brandli, Luciana | Özuyar, Pinar G. | Wall, Tony (eds.) in: Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, SDG 16: Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions, Springer, pp. 1-8. [peer-reviewed]
3. Umbach, Gaby (2020): Of Numbers, Narratives and Challenges: Data as Evidence in 21st Century Policy-Making, Statistical Journal of the IAOS (SJIAOS), Special Feature on Governing by the Numbers – Statistical Governance, Walter Radermacher (lead) December 2020, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 1043-1055. [peer-reviewed]
4. Bhuta, Nehal | Malito, Debora Valentina | Umbach, Gaby (2018): Introduction: Of Numbers and Narratives— Indicators in Global Governance and the Rise of a Reflexive Indicator Culture, in: Malito, Debora Valentina | Umbach, Gaby | Bhuta, Nehal (eds.) (2018): The Palgrave Handbook on Indicators in Global Governance, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 1-29. [peer-reviewed]
5. Malito, Debora Valentina | Bhuta, Nehal | Umbach, Gaby (2018): Conclusions: Knowing and Governing, in: Malito, Debora Valentina | Umbach, Gaby | Bhuta, Nehal (eds.) (2018): The Palgrave Handbook on Indicators in Global Governance, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 503-512. [peer-reviewed]
1. Umbach, Gaby (2019): Evidence-informed Policy-Making, Expert Report Contribution to the European Commission’s Joint Research Centres report “Understanding our political nature: How to put knowledge and reason at the heart of policymaking”, Brussels. [peer-reviewed]